Sunday, January 14, 2007

Sunday / Smoking

I give my posts these lame-o title when I can't think of anything else. I start the semester on Wednesday and today I am going to seaworld with my grandma and her girl scout troop. The cookie season starts soon.

This last weekend I discovered and witnessed that someone I know and love as a friend smokes. It almost shocked me because that person had always complained about smokers before. The person is allowed to because he/she is of age but he/she is hiding from his/her whole family and lies to get out and smoke with other people. It pains me a little because I would have never thought that this person would. It might not seem so serious or big a deal but for me it partially is. I can't hate or dislike people who snoke because it is only something they do. There is obviously more to a person beside the fact that they smoke but to watch someone you love slowly deteriorate (sp?) from the inside out is hurtful. I cant imagine how the syblings of the person I know would feel if they found out. Also being younger than the person, they look up to the older sybling often. Smoking seems like somthing so small but it really isn't. Most people don't care because it usually doesn't affect them until later in their life. Their voices become deep and raspy and wrinkles form earlier than necessary.
Sadly a lot of people abuse some sort of substance in the world. I pray for them sometimes. Again, I am one of the lucky ones.

I would never want to destroy my body like that. This topic could spread so easily into drugs and other ways to destory yourself. I could probably write a book on it all. I try to spread my beliefs with good reasons too. For instance I'm not saying that I don't like smoking because 'it's stupid and people just shouldn't do it'. I try to explain with a good reason why.

On a happier note:
Tomorrow missa, cailtlin, and I are going to go dress shopping for miss olp. I hope all goes well because I can't go shopping next weekend and the dance is the weekend after that.

I discovered a new band called Guster. They are pretty good.

.:bye:.

p.s. I downloaded some Imogen Heap songs because I love frou frou and they are awesome!

3 comments:

Marissa O said...

hey you. guess what. caitlin is a poo-head and i hate her. she is ditching us, so that she can hang out with a boy instead. and we made plans with her first! not fair. but alyssa is coming. call me tomorrow, or i will call you. toodaloo.

Sarge said...

Hey again...I can't help it - I love your blog...it reminds me of things that matter...that should still matter - like friends smoking, it's a bad decision, after a few years everybody regrets it - have you ever read Douglas Coupland's "Life After God"? it's deceptively simple, but I think what he wanted in life, was to get back to things that matter - anyway, if you like the old Imogen - give this band Worm is Green a listen...check out their cover, especially, of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" - the old Joy Division song (and they, Joy Division, have a song called "Disorder" that's out of this world). As well, if you need to pray ever, check out Al Green's "Jesus is Waiting", the last song on maybe the greatest album of the 1970s, _Call Me_ - for me it's the closest thing to actual prayer there is, except perhaps, Mozart's "Dies Iraes" in his Requiem. Or the second movement of Schumann's Piano Quartet.

I hope the shopping was good. A friend of the Commandos is out in San Diego these days...he works at the UCSD library - you never know when research will come in handy. We call him all the time when we need maps or some such. I haven't been to San Diego in about four years, I love it there though, what I remember is the fog coming in every night and the beautiful color the ocean got on cloudy days. Anyway, I hope I'm not bothering...

always best wishes

from the field,

Sarge

Anonymous said...

marissa is more of a pooh-head than me because she KNOWS i did not want to "ditch" you guys and am piece-d that my musher (aka mother) will not let me call the "boy" and tell him the truth that i already had plans that i forgot about (because i suffer from short-term-memory-loss) because she thinks he will think i just want to get out of it and not hang-out with him. and my mama also said that "marissa should be a good friend and understand" and not care that i go and hang-out with this boy. i think in a way she is right because i would honestly be all for Marissa "ditching" us to hang-out with a boy because she never does and i am (to be honest) a little concerned. haha (just kidding). well i was posting to say that I AM SO SORRY that you are this concerned with my SMOKING habit. i did not know it hurt you so and i shall try to stop immediately....wait one second i think i just kicked the habit. go me i am no longer a chain-smoker OR a social-smoker. well thank you for your concern. just kidding my love. haha
-Cat ;)